ACQUIRED BY THE MUSÉE NATIONAL DU MOYEN ÂGE ( PARIS ) - JAN CROCQ (active 1486-1510) - SAINT JAMES THE LESS
Late 15th Century
H. 42 cm
Flemish sculptor from Antwerp or Bruges, Jan Crocq probably settled in Lorraine around 1486-1487 where he worked for Duke Rene II between Nancy and Bar-le-Duc. He participated in the decoration of the Ducal Palace in Nancy including the library, and was commissioned by the Duke to make the Tomb of Charles the Bold in the church of Saint-Georges de Nancy (executed in 1506-1507 and destroyed in 1742) . Forerunner of the art of the Renaissance in Lorraine, Jan Crocq played a leading role and strongly influenced the artists of the time, in whom we find stylistic elements of Flemish origin.
Crocq's work is poorly documented and his productions are extremely rare. The Saint Catherine of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, The Coronation of the Virgin at the Musée National du Moyen Âge in Paris, the Saint Jean held at the Lorrain Museum in Nancy, The Virgin of the Litany of the Church of Notre- Lady of Bar-le-Duc, and the Saint Adrien and Saint Roch of the collegiate Saint-Etienne of Bar-le-Duc.
Standing, slightly swayed, our Saint James the Minor wears a robe and a cloak which give it an imposing appearance; the size of the dress with the powerful and wide pleats increases this impression of strong presence. With his head turned to the right, the apostle, with a firm right hand, holds open the book of his Gospel, which is here associated with his confessor status. Finally, in the left hand, he holds the staff, the instrument of his martyrdom.
Exceptional in its monumentality and graphic precision, this statue is similar in style to all the works attributed to it in public collections.
In all his sculptures, Jan Crocq, who probably used the same model for his male characters, hardly represents personalities but rather an archetypal face that he systematically repeats with slight variations in the details. The resemblance of the apostle's face to that of Emperor Maximus in the Saint Catherine's group at the Metropolitan Museum of Art is striking: the sculptor paid the same attention to the execution of anatomical details as the exaggeratedly pointed chin.
It can also be noted that, as in all his figures, the stern and striking face of the apostle is framed by the graphical and exaggerated ripples of the beard and the hair, contrasting with the same precision and the same fineness to the modeling of the features. Beyond the conventional aspect, the technical mastery of the sculptor is here prodigious.
The discovery of this unrecorded sculpture by Mathieu Sismann and its attribution by Gabriela Sismann in 2007 bring an additional testimony of the work of this sculptor in the service of the Duke of Lorraine specialized in religious commands.
ACQUIRED BY THE PALAIS FESCH - Musée des Beaux-Arts ( Ajaccio ) - THE DEPOSITION FROM THE CROSS
THE DEPOSITION FROM THE CROSS
Painting on slate (with it's box)
Roman School Escuela Romana
Inicios del siglo 17
44 cm x 56 cm x 5 cm
Provenance : Fesch Collection
ACQUIRED BY THE PALAIS DES BEAUX ARTS DE LILLE - FRANCE
BUST OF A CROWNED SAINT
Polychrome and Gilt Limewood
H. 40 cm ; W. 39 cm ; D. 0,19cm
ACQUIRED BY THE MUSÉE DU LOUVRE - PARIS - FRANCE - MASTER H.L - VIRGIN AND CHILD
MASTER H.L VIRGIN AND CHILD
Master H.L. and his Workshop
Painted Limewood Group of the Virgin and Child
H. 152 cm
Provenance : Ancienne Collection Claes, Mulhouse
ACQUIRED BY THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART OF NEW YORK - U.S.A - SAINT PHILIP
Alabaster, with traces of gilding and polychromy
Made in Meuse Valley, France or Netherlands
Mid XV th Century
Dimensions : Overall (with base): 16 1/8 x 5 7/8 x 3 11/16 in. (41 x 15 x 9.4 cm)
Figure only: 13 1/8 x 5 7/8 x 3 11/16 in. (33.4 x 14.9 x 9.4 cm)
Base: 2 7/8 x 5 5/8 x 3 1/4in. (7.3 x 14.3 x 8.3cm)
PROVENANCE : Robert Lehman Collection
ACQUIRED BY THE MUSÉE DES BEAUX ARTS DE STRASBOURG - SAINTS ANTHONY AND MARGARET
THE SAINTS ANTHONY AND MARGARET
Polychromed and gilded limewood reliefs
Late 15 th Century
Saint Anthony: H. 89.5 cm; D. 3 cm; W. 25.5 cm
Saint Margaret: H. 91 cm; D. 3 cm; W. 25 cm
The size and flat back of these important polychrome and gilded reliefs suggest an original placement in an altarpiece, pressed against two wing-panels. It was usual in late German Gothic sculpture to gather locally venerated male and female saints around the Virgin, chosen for their popularity or in relation to the donor’s devotion. The drapery style and facial type of these figures mark them as the work of a Swabian workshop at the end of the 15 th Century. Carved from a single board of wood, as traditionally in Swabia, Anthony and Margaret are nominated by their attributes, the pig and the dragon. The decorative elements and stylistic criteria derive from the Ulmish school, founded by Michel Erhart (active in Ulm around 1469-1522): The characteristic plaited drapery around the waist of Sainte Margaret, the sweet faces pigmented with pink carnations and the polychromy’s refinement are reminiscent of his work. However, the small figures placed at the feet, and finally the little anecdotal details recall the contemporary works under the influence of the Niklaus Weckmann the Elder (cited in Ulm around 1481-1526). Both faces combine elements defined by the sculptor, as the youthful face and wavy heavy locks in the Virgin of the Nativity panel at the Petit Palais in Paris. These Saint Anthony and Saint Margaret reliefs are to be considered as productions from Ulmish workshops of the early sixteenth Century, who maintain a traditional style in the sphere of influence of the great masters. It should be noted how remarkably preserved these polychromed flap reliefs are.
ANONYMOUS FRENCH ARTIST
DONATION TO THE MUSÉE NATIONAL DE LA RENAISSANCE - ECOUEN - FRANCE - Esau selling his birthright to Jacob or "The Lentil Stew"
ESAU SELLING HIS BIRTHRIGHT TO JACOB OR THE " LENTIL STEW "
France, Paris ?
First third of the 17th century
H. 18.5 cm ; W. 23 cm
Despite the richness of the textile fund of the National Museum of the Renaissance, rare are the embroidered pieces of preserved historical scenes. In addition to the corporal adorned with a Lamentation on the Dead Christ close to the art of Jean Cousin the father (E.C. 13224), the oval medallion depicting Adoration of the Golden Calf (E.Cl. 1488) and the green embroidered taffeta piece of Parnassus (E.C. 13046), the National Museum of the Renaissance preserves few fabrics entirely covered with embroidery.
The scene represents a passage from Genesis (XXV, 29-34) concerning the twins of Isaac and Rebekah during which Esau, exhausted from the fields, agreed to sell his birthright to his brother Jacob for a dish. of lentils. This excerpt from the Old Testament was frequently produced by painters in the 16th and 17th centuries. Two other scenes from the story of Jacob and Esau adorn the chimneys of the Connétable apartment at the Château d'Ecouen. Its moral significance has also made it a favorite scene in the decorative arts, particularly in the textile field.
The technical implementation is remarkable: applied on a cream taffeta, the stitch of embroidery (flat past and encroaching past) commonly referred to as the "needle painting" is here perfectly mastered. On the reverse, the remains of paper also testify to the technique, because the embroiderers often reinforced the fabric with stiff paper to make it more resistant to the passage of needles.
Visibly too big to come from a liturgical garment, this embroidered fragment could be part of an altar decoration (antependium), a religious ceremony (canopy, wall hanging), a piece of furniture or a secular whole. Although different in its composition, the engraving on the same subject in the illustrated Latin Bible of Théodore de Bry (1627) shows characters wearing the same type of clothing, the same hats and wearing very similar flexible attitudes. The model of the embroiderer is probably to look in the entourage of this engraver.
This donation enriches the typology of embroidery of the fonds, as well as the knowledge of the technique of "needle painting" carried to its highest degree of excellence at the end of the sixteenth century and the beginning of the seventeenth century.
ACQUIRED BY THE MUSEE SAINTE CROIX - POITIERS - FRANCE - ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT FROM THE CHATEAU DE BONNIVET
ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT FROM THE CHATEAU DE BONNIVET
Early 16th Century
ACQUIRED BY A PRIVATE FOREIGN COLLECTION - FRANCE - PIERRE JULIEN ( 1731 - 1796 ) - ORIGINAL TERRACOTTA FIGURE OF HYGIE
Circa 1791 - 1796
H. 71 cm
ACQUIRED BY A PRIVATE FOREIGN COLLECTION - FRANCESCO TERILLI ( ACTIVE BETWEEN 1596 AND 1633/5) - EXCEPTIONAL SIGNED PAIR OF IVORY FIGURES OF MARY AND SAINT JOHN
FRANCESCO TERILLI ( ACTIVE BETWEEN 1596 AND 1633/5)
EXCEPTIONAL SIGNED PAIR OF IVORY FIGURES OF MARY AND SAINT JOHN
H. 18 cm ; H. 18 cm
Native from Feltro in Veneto, Francesco Terilli (known between 1596 and 1633 to 1635 ) was a versatile sculptor of the early Baroque period working wood, bronze and earth. Particularly active in Feltre as in Venice, some of his productions can be seen in the Basilica of San Giovanni and San Paolo and the Chiesa Redentore, on the Island of Giudecca. The treatment of Terilli's figures are characterized by the sculptor's search of contrast between technical sophistication and deep expressiveness.
There are a very limited number of ivory statuettes signed by Terilli or that can be assigned to him unambiguously such as the two Crucified Christs at the Museo Civico of Feltre and the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum (No. Inv. S28S2), and the Scourged Christ kept at the Musée du Louvre ( Inv. N° OA3917), all dated towards 1600. Luckily, Francesco Terilli monogrammed some of his ivories "FTF" or "FFF", a common practice in Germanic countries. No such practice occurs in Italy, which partly explains the lack of knowledge of Italian ivories from the 17th and 18th centuries.
Our two figures, Mary and Saint John, each have a monogram stamped under their base. Saint John is accompanied by the monogram "FFF" ( Francisco Feltrensis Fecit ) and Mary is accompanied by the monogram "FTF" ( Francisco Terilli Fecit ). They belong to the same typology as the pair signed by Francesco Terilli kept at the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna ( Inv. N° KK - 4534 and KK - 4536), as our figures share the same quality of execution, plastic density, scale forms and softness of the features. They differ only in a few minor variations.
The scarcity of existing signed works by Francesco Terilli make the discovery of this pair of ivories all the more important due to its historical and artistic interest.
ACQUIRED BY THE KATOEN NATIE ART FOUNDATION - ANTWERPEN - NETHERLANDS
17 th Century
H. 105 cm
GUGLIEMO DELLA PORTA
ACQUIRED BY A PRIVATE EUROPEAN COLLECTION - GUGLIEMO DELLA PORTA ( 1500 - 1577 ) - CHRIST CRUCIFIED
GUGLIEMO DELLA PORTA ( 1500 - 1577 )
Between 1569 and 1577
ACQUIRED BY COLLECTION LAMBERT EN AVIGNON - KNEELING DONOR
Limestone with traces of polychromy
Mid 15th Century
H. 24.5 cm
PRIVATE COLLECTION - U.S.A - FORMER YVES SAINT LAURENT AND PIERRE BERGE COLLECTION FROM THE CHÂTEAU GABRIEL
PAIRE OF CARYATIDES
Venice Mid 16 th Century
H. 204 cm
These caryatids have been designed to fit into an interior design for the unique purpose of decorating the room.
Represented by three quarters, wrapped in drapes and accompanied by garlands of flowers and fruit, both figures lift their arms asymmetrically. Their attitude has been designed according to a common vision and a common point of view, showing that they were intended to remain detached . This makes an assumption of a destination for a single structure likely because their small bases have limited surfaces and make it necessary to fix them on a wall due to balance issues.
Our pair of caryatids truly marks the transition from Mannerism to the Baroque : built on a pattern of contortion and Michelangelesque monumentality, the theatrical mise en scène imposes itself spectacularly.
The Moorish features and the style of these sculptures take us to Venice, a city where sculptors and craftsmen specialized in these great achievements brought to life by a generation working around the fantastic and prolific Andrea Brustolon (1662-1732). The spectacular Altar of souls (1685) in the church of San Floriano in the municipality of Pieve di Zoldo, is a reference in the matter .
In a general way, and in particular the proportions of the bodies, these two caryatids are comparable to the famous caryatids in the Scuola Grande di San Rocco (1665-1670) and those of Pietro Morando (1662-1672) in the church of San Pietro Martire in Murano. It is also possible to connect them to the typology of the telamons developed by Giacomo Piazzetta (1640-1705) in the Chapel of the Rosary in San Giovanni e Paolo, dated from the 1680s , or his Telamons at the Ca'd'Oro, whose arrangement of the drapery are reflected in ours.
However, the softer contours of the body, the use of gilding and ornamental vocabulary combining geometric and plant motifs, allow earlier dating to the years 1630-1650, a period in which we find these features on the site of the parish church of San Pietro Martire. Another comparison of interest is a frame from Murano carved in 1634 by Francesco Mezzanotte, and now visible in the Old Sacristy of Santa Maria della Salute, in which we can recognize the same scrolls and garlands of fruit and flowers than in our caryatids.
A second frame decorated with a pair of figures comparable to ours, exhibited at the Civic Museum of Padua, shows these same similarities as well as the extravagance of the attitudes and the combination of dark wood and gilding .
PIETRO AND GIOVANNI ALAMANNO
ACQUIRED BY A PRIVATE FOREIGN COLLECTION - VIRGIN MARY KNEELING IN ADORATION
End of the 15th Century
H. 120 cm; W: 80 cm ; D. 76 cm
PROVENANCE : Former Astarita Collection
ACQUIRED BY THE ALANA COLLECTION, Newark, Delaware, USA - BENEDETTO BRIOSCO ( 1460 - 1517 ) - PORTRAIT OF LUDOVICO IL MORO
BENEDETTO BRIOSCO ( 1460 - 1517 )
PORTRAIT OF LUDOVICO IL MORO
White marble high-relief medallion
Diam. 55 cm
ACQUIRED BY THE MUSEE NATIONAL DE LA RENAISSANCE - ECOUEN - FRANCE - Nouailher Colin (active 1539 - known until 1567) - Pair of enamel plaques depicting scenes from the Passion of Christ
Nouailher Colin (active 1539 - known until 1567)
Pair of enamel plaques depicting scenes from the Passion of Christ
Mid 16th century
ACQUIRED BY THE MUSÉE DES ARTS DÉCORATIFS DE NAMUR - ALLEGORY OF CHARITY
Signed and dated at the back : 1794/Roucourt
H. 87 cm, Diam. 53 cm
ACQUIRED BY THE TASSENMUSEUM HENDRIKJE - MUSEUM OF BAGS AND PURSES - AMSTERDAM - NETHERLANDS
CLAUS DE WERVE
ACQUIRED BY A PRIVATE FOREIGN COLLECTION - CLAUS DE WERVE ( 1380- ca.1439 ) - SAINT PETER
CLAUS DE WERVE ( 1380 - ca.1439 )
Early 15th Century
H. 47 cm
ACQUIRED BY A FOREIGN PRIVATE COLLECTION - DOMENICO GUIDI (1625-1701) - CRISTO VIVO
End of the 17 th
Century H. 56 cm
JEAN DE LA HUERTA
ACQUIRED BY A FRENCH PRIVATE COLLECTION - JEAN DE LA HUERTA (1413 - vers 1462) - SAINT
JEAN DE LA HUERTA (1413 - vers 1462)
Limestone with traces of polychromy
H. 51 cm
ACQUIRED BY A PRIVATE FOREIGN COLLECTION - PAIR OF ALLEGORICAL GROUPS OF AIR AND FIRE
PAIR OF ALLEGORICAL GROUPS OF AIR AND FIRE
H. 28.5 cm and 31.5 cm
ACQUIRED BY THE MUSÉE NATIONAL DE LA RENAISSANCE - ECOUEN - FRANCE
VIRGIN AND CHILD
Painting Under glass